"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover"

- Mark Twain

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Funeral and a Married Bachelor

The funeral services for Grandpa Reichert were wonderful today.  I don't know how a funeral could have been any better.  It's always tough losing a loved one, even if temporary.  I can't help but think of Grandma.  Watching her today was amazing.  She misses him, but she'll do fine until she meets him again.  I provided the opening prayer and was a pallbearer.  It was an honor.

I have never seen or heard of anyone having been so prepared for death.  He and Grandma had completely planned the funeral.  He had ironed his own shirt that he was buried in, bought a new set of tires for the car for Grandma, lived in a condo - where they manicure the lawns and do the yard maintenance for you, and so much more.  Grandma was a lucky lady to have him and I know Grandpa was lucky to have her.

I learned a lot about my Grandfather today.  He had a love for reading the newspaper every morning, always polished his shoes (even polished his new pair before wearing them), always wore a collared shirt - no Tee shirts for him, liked to dress nicely, liked certain formalities and enjoyed old western cowboy shows.

Elizabeth and the kids left for Moab right after the funeral.  They are going to spend some time with Liz's sister Rebecca and her newborn - Olivia.  So, I'm a married bachelor for a few nights.  Cold cereal was had for dinner.  MMMM... Honey Comb with skim milk.

2 comments:

  1. oh I see how you are.... Showing me up with a gourmet meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with cold cereal for dinner!

    ReplyDelete